Migrate from Lync 2010 to Skype for Business Server 2015

For my environment I will be using a single Standard Edition Front End Server. The recommended hardware Requirements are as follows:

CPU – 64-bit dual processor, hex-core, 2.26 gigahertz (GHz) or higher
Memory – 32 gigabytes (GB)
Disk – At least 72GB
Network: 1 dual-port network adapter, 1 Gbps or higher (2 network adapters can be used, but they need to be teamed with a single MAC address and a single IP address).

To begin with I will go with half the recommendations as in my experience they always over egg these things! Our environment is quite small and we can always up the resources later.

vm1

1.  Create NIC Team: http://blogs.technet.com/b/kevinholman/archive/2012/06/02/windows-server-2012-creating-a-nic-team-for-load-balancing-and-failover.aspx
    2.  Check for Windows Updates
    3. Install server roles:
Add-WindowsFeature NET-Framework-Core, RSAT-ADDS, Windows-Identity-Foundation, Web-Server, Web-Static-Content, Web-Default-Doc, Web-Http-Errors, Web-Dir-Browsing, Web-Asp-Net, Web-Net-Ext, Web-ISAPI-Ext, Web-ISAPI-Filter, Web-Http-Logging, Web-Log-Libraries, Web-Request-Monitor, Web-Http-Tracing, Web-Basic-Auth, Web-Windows-Auth, Web-Client-Auth, Web-Filtering, Web-Stat-Compression, Web-Dyn-Compression, NET-WCF-HTTP-Activation45, Web-Asp-Net45, Web-Mgmt-Tools, Web-Scripting-Tools, Web-Mgmt-Compat, Server-Media-Foundation, BITS

4. Create a File Share on the server. Add the local Administrators group on the server hosting the file share, grant Allow: Full Control, Change, and Read rights, and then click Share.

sharr

5. Install Administrative tools from SFB Iso.

sfb iso

Once you have completed the updates and license agreement click “Install Administrative Tools”

admin tools

6. Click prepare Active Directory

Follow each step one by one.

prepare ad

7. Create DNS records – The existing Lync 2010 DNS records should be sufficient for the deployment. The traffic will be redirected through the 2010 server to SFB. The Web Scheduler Simple URL is a new record which does not exist in previous versions. We need to add this:

scheduler.domain.local  A record

dns1

8. Create and publish new topology

Click “Prepare first Standard Edition Server”

prepare first server

Once complete open Topology Builder and select “Download Topology from Existing Environment”

New Front End Pool

Expand Skype for Business Server 2015 and Right click Standard Edition Front End Servers then New Front End Pool.

define pool

Select the features you wish to use:

features

For my deployment I am choosing to Collocate the Mediation Server.

collocate

On the next page, ensure you UN-check Enable an Edge Pool

edge pool uncheck

Click next for “Define SQL Store”

Select Use previously defined file share and select the share you created earlier

Skype Share

Define Web Services URL:

web services url

I don’t have an Office Web Apps Server yet. We can add this later. Click finish.

web apps server

Go back to Topology builder and right click your Standard Edition Front End server and go properties.

properties

Scroll down to Associate Edge pool and select the 2010 server.

edge

Go to Action/ Publish to commit the changes. Click Next

publish

9. Install Skype for Business Server System

Run the deployment wizard and click “Install or Update Skype for Business Server System”

Follow each step one by one

Step 1: Install the local configuration Store

Install the following KB before completing the next step: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/2982006

Step 2: Setup or Remove Skype for Business Server Components

Step 3: Request, Install or Assign Certificates

Step 4: Start Services

Right click SKB Management Shell and click “Run as Administrator”

from the PowerShell prompt execute:

Start-CsWindowsService

Step 5: Enable Microsoft Update

10. Verify the Topology

For my tests I’m going to move a test user from 2010 to SFB and verify functionality.

Step 1: Open SFB Server 2015 Control Panel and go to Users. Search for a user you want to move

Move

Go to Action / Move selected users to pool…

Change the Destination registrar pool to the FE on the new server

registrar

Test IM between users, calls and any other functionality you like to use.

Next Steps:

Migrate 2010 Edge Server
Deploy Archive Monitoring Role

Advertisements
Tagged with: , , ,
Posted in Lync, Skype for Business, Uncategorized
14 comments on “Migrate from Lync 2010 to Skype for Business Server 2015
  1. jkhan says:

great post! where/when can we find the edge server migration article?

2. Jide says:

thanks for the article. I’m gonna need some clarification though. In step 4 you mentioned to create file share on the new server (skype) but somewhere in 8 you said Select “Use previously defined file share and select the old server share” by the old server do you mean the Lync 2010. if we’re using that why did we create the share on the skype server?

3. Jide says:

I’m stuck at step 8. I try to associate the existing 2010 as the edge pool but I don’t see it listed. If i try to define a new pool with it’s FQDN it throw red error. Any pointers?

4. jamesitpro says:

The scheduler service apprently only came out in 2013 so if you are migrating from 2010 point it to the SFB FE.

Did you update all the servers with latest CU updates? Try that and see if it helps

5. Jide says:

Hi James, I’m really trying to do this but I must confess I’m totally confused with your steps. To be clear, Are you saying I need to install edge services on the current Lync 2010 FE server? Or do you have an edge server that run Lync 2010 and that is the one you’re refering to? I do not currently have an edge server as Lync is not used from outside. I don’t understand why Skype for Business would list my Lync FE server as an edge server when it is not an edge server. Please I need your help to clarify this. I’m stuck here

6. jamesitpro says:

If you don’t use Lync from the Outside then you don’t have to worry about this step. The Edge server is only used for external communication. We have an Edge server so I needed to complete this step.

7. Jide says:

Thank you. I’m home and dry right now. My next assignment would be to figure out connection to lync from outside. Then I would need the edge. Will let you know if I need help on that. “Setting up edge server / setting up lync for external connectivity” Thanks

8. jamesitpro says:

no problem. Happy to help.

9. Jide says:

For the purpose of others that will use this useful article to setup their S4B, please use the new file share you create on the S4B server and not the existing file share on the lync. It is NOT advisable to have two separate Pools of Lync use the same file share. It will be very confusing when troubleshooting things like Address Book update. Also the additional work required to move the file share later is unnecessary and should be avoided from the on-set. James you might want to edit that part of the article

10. jamesitpro says:

Hi Jide, I’ve updated the post. I hope it is to your satisfaction

11. SimWhite says:

Hello. Could you tell why when I migrate some test users to S4B they are can’t create IM and voice conferences? I use Standard Edition servers. Edge server is still on Lync 2010.