We recently started using IPAM in Windows 2012 to manage our IP address estate. The tool is great, but I do find it is sometimes hard to find what I am looking for. For this reason I’ve done a little post to share how to assign an IP address.
To access IPAM from your machine you need to have Server Manager installed. You can enable it by going to Control Panel/ Programs and Features/Turn Windows features on or off. You will need RSAT tools installed first.
- Open Server Manager and click “Add other servers to manage”. Search for the server where IPAM is installed, add it and click ok.
- Click on IPAM on the left side
3. Click on “IP Address Blocks” then change the view to “IP Address Ranges”
4. Select the subnet in which you would like to assign a static address from and right click “Find and Allocate Available IP Address…”
5. IPAM will search for an IP address which is not used.
6. Once it has found one, change any desired settings in “Basic Configurations”
7. Scroll down to “DNS Record Synchronization” and enter the device name. If it is not a domain joined computer you can select “Automatically Create DNS records” if you wish
8. Click Ok to finish